Friday, October 20, 2006

Woman in ink.

Yesterday I picked up a couple of pens at the local drugstore for inking. I know they're not inking pens or brushes or anything and I'm saving my pennies for whenever I finally get in to an art supply store in town but they're better then nothing. Inking isn't something I thought I really enjoyed but then I inked my yoga sketches and neice's coat sketch from the last two posts and though their crappiness was spectacular (don't know if I should boher posting them) at least they got me to realize that inking is quite enjoyable.

So today I picked out a stack of National Geographic (is there really any better source for beautiful subject photos?) and went through until I found an absolutely beautiful woman to draw. I did the pencil sketch and it turned out so nice. I was afraid to screw it up with pens. But being afraid never gets you anywhere so...

This is the finished product;

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy WOW! What kind of pens are they? That looks phenomenal. Keep it up, and you'll have Joe Quesada knocking on your door in no time :).

Dawn said...

Thanks! The pens were a Uniball needlepoint (0.7) and a Paper Mate felt tip (1.1).

I've said before that I've never really inked before this blog but I think I lied. I was doing up that woman this morning and remembered tearing photos out of the newspaper and going over them with a pen to bring out the lines and shadows. This was when I was a teenager. I'm thinking I must have put more hours into it then I realized and it was coming back to me a bit with that piece.

And now, reflecting on that, newspaper photos were probably ideal for practicing inking skills. They were all grey scale and often had good lighting.

Melchior del DariƩn said...

Really nice work, Dawn!

Powered by WebRing.